Put these great KWG events on your calendar!
KWG offers an acclaimed literary speaker and a writing workshop each month, plus other community-wide events. Here are the Programs, Workshops and Events through December:
Programs are open to all, a $2 donation requested. Most workshops are $50 for non-members, $30 for members, $15 for students. Click here for details and registration. Unless stated otherwise, all events are at Central United Methodist Church, 201 East Third Avenue.
- Program: Thursday, July 6, 7 p.m.
“Open Mic Night,” a chance for community writers to read a three-minute segment of their work to a live audience. Come early to register! Only members are allowed to read, but anyone may join KWG at the event.
- Workshop: Saturday, July 22: 10 a.m. to noon
“From Genealogy Archives to Storytelling: Research Enriches Your Writing.”
Presenters: Bonny Millard and Eric Head of the McClung Collection.
Workshop to be at East Tennessee Historical Society: 601 S. Gay Street.
- Program: Thursday, Aug. 3, 7 p.m.
Julia Franks presents her novel, “Over the Plain Houses,” and discusses her creative process.
- Workshop: Saturday, Aug. 19, 10 a.m. to noon
“Catching Fire: the Art of Telling Your Stories Aloud.” Presenter: Laura Still of Knoxville Walking Tours
- Program: Thursday, Sept. 7, 7 p.m.
Second KWG Spelling Bee. Cash prizes and door prizes, open to anyone 15 and older. Registration is $10.
- Workshop: Saturday, Sept. 16, 10 am to noon.
“It’s Your Story: Owning the Joy of Revision.” Presenter: Cathy Kodra
- Program: Thursday, Oct. 5, 7 p.m.
“What You Must Know about Libel, Slander and Copyright.” Presenter: Mark Crockett, intellectual property lawyer
- Program: Thursday, Nov. 2, 7 p.m.
“The Art of Graphic Novels.” Matthew Foltz-Gray
- Workshop: Saturday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m. to noon
“Plot: The Events of Your Story.” Bob Mayer
- Readings & Fundraiser, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
20 KWG authors read at Barnes & Noble, 8029 Kingston Pike. Free workshop on “Writing Your Holiday Feasts.” A percentage of all sales goes to the KWG!
- Program: Thursday, December 7, p.m.
Open Mike and Potluck — Public Invited.
All readers must be KWG members