General Contest Guidelines
The following guidelines apply to ALL Knoxville Writers Guild contest categories. See specific guidelines under each category heading for requirements specific to each category.
Please read the guidelines carefully in order to ensure entries are processed efficiently and fairly.
Who can submit?
- Contests are open to all individuals above the age of 18 with the following exceptions: Members of the KWG Board of Directors and Contest Committee members may not submit entries to Knoxville Writers Guild contest. Previous first prize winners are barred from submitting to the 2019 category in which they won in 2018. See Specific Guidelines under Young Writers for exceptions to those contests.
- Previous winners who have won five or more times in a single category are not eligible to enter that contest but are to be considered Writer Emeritus and can be invited to serve as a judge in that category.
Is there a limit on submissions?
- Contestants may enter more than one category.
- Contestants may enter a category as many times as they wish according to the following,
- Each submission must be entered separately as an individual submission. An entry fee must be paid for each submission.
- Please do not include more than one submission in a single entry. Review exceptions for Poetry entries (Guidelines for Poetry).
- An entry fee is required for each submission.
- Paid members may submit ONE entry for free in ONE category only. Additional entries may be submitted in the same or other categories by paying a member-discounted fee of $20 for each entry.
How do I submit my entry?
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted. All submissions must be posted before midnight Eastern Standard Time on April 20, 2019.
- Submit entries in the appropriate category here.
- Entries must be submitted through the online entry form. The title of your attachment should match the title of your submission. You will receive an automated email confirmation that the committee has received your entry. Please send a follow-up inquiry if you do not receive an email confirmation for receipt of your submission.
- Do not put your name, pen name, or any other identifying information on the entries themselves. Failure to follow this rule will result in rejection of your entry and forfeiture of your entry fee.
- Previously published works will not be accepted. Submission of previously published works will result in disqualification from the contest and forfeiture of your entry fee.
- All entries are to adhere to the following formatting guidelines except Poetry:
- Black type on a white page with 12 point Times New Roman or Courier fonts. Set your margins to one inch, and double-space. Do not justify. See specific contest guidelines for additional formatting requirements.
Is there an entry fee?
- There is a $30 entry fee for nonmembers
- There is no entry fee for Guild members for a single submission. Additional entries are $20.
- Guild membership is $30 per year; $15 for students. To join, make checks payable to Knoxville Writers Guild or pay by credit card here.
- You can pay entry fees in two ways: (1) by personal check mailed to the address below or (2) electronically via the online submission process. If you opt to pay by check, include the title of your entry and category in the memo line of your check and the check number when you submit your entry online. Failure to do so may result in the disqualification of the entry for lack of payment.
Payments by check should be sent to: (Name of Category) Contest c/o The Knoxville Writers Guild, P.O. Box 10326 Knoxville, TN 37939
- The awards for each category will be limited to a first prize and a runner-up: $200 for first place, $75 and a free one year membership for runner-up. Prizes may not be awarded in a category if an insufficient number of eligible entries are received.
- See below for descriptions of individual categories and specific guidelines for a particular contest.
- Winners will be notified by phone and/or email.
- Winners will be invited to read an excerpt of their winning submissions at the October 209 monthly program of the Knoxville Writers Guild. If you are unable to receive your prize in person, it will be mailed to the address on your submission unless otherwise notified.
Mailing Address:Knoxville Writers Guild, P.O. Box 10326, Knoxville TN, 37939-0326
Equal Opportunity: The Knoxville Writers Guild does not discriminate against any person because of race, age, gender, handicap or country of national origin.