2017 Knoxville Writers’ Guild Autumn Contest
The Knoxville Writers Guild is accepting submissions for the its first Autumn Knoxville Writers Guild Contest beginning August 31, 2017 through midnight, October 31, 2017.
Contestants may enter their work in several categories including poetry, literary nonfiction and literary short fiction. There is also a Young Writers category in which student may submit in any of the previously mentioned genres. Judges will be announced shortly. Please see below the General Contest Guidelines for information on submissions. There are also guidelines for each category outlining requirements specific to each category.
Please direct questions regarding the contest here.
General Contest Guidelines
The following guidelines apply to all Knoxville Writers Guild contest categories. See specific guidelines under each category heading for individual exceptions or additions. Contestants may submit work through midnight, October 31, 2017.
Please read the guidelines carefully in order to ensure entries are processed efficiently and fairly.
Who can submit?
- Contests are open to all individuals above the age of 18 with the following exceptions: Members of the KWG Board of Directors and Contest Committee members may not submit entries to Knoxville Writers Guild contest. Previous first prizewinners are barred from entering the contest they won for one year. See the category guidelines for the Young Writers category for exceptions to those contests.
- Previous winners who have won five or more times in a single category are not eligible to enter that contest but are to be considered Writer Emeritus and may be invited to serve as a judge in that category.
Is there a limit on submissions?
- Contestants may enter more than one category.
- Members may enter up to one submission into each category. After the first entry in any category, members must pay the non-member entry fee for additional submissions.
- Each submission must be entered separately as an individual submission. An entry fee must be paid for each submission.
- Please do not put more than one submission in a single document unless you are entering poetry. (See the category guidelines for Poetry).
- An entry fee is required for each submission.
How do I submit my entry?
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted. All submissions must be posted before midnight Eastern Standard Time on October 31, 2017.
- Submit entries online by click on the appropriate member or non-member link on this page. Entries received via email or through the mail will not be processed.
- Use black type on a white page with 12 point Times New Roman or Courier fonts. Set your margins to one inch, and double-space. Do not justify. See specific contest guidelines for additional formatting requirements.
- Entries must be submitted through the online entry form. The title of your attachment should match the title of your submission. You will receive an automated email confirmation that the committee has received your entry. Please send a follow-up inquiry if you do not receive an email confirmation for receipt of your submission.
- Do not put your name, pen name, or any other identifying information on the entries themselves. Failure to follow this rule will result in rejection of your entry and forfeiture of your entry fee.
- Previously published works will not be accepted. Submission of previously published works will result in disqualification from the contest and forfeiture of your entry fee.
Is there an entry fee?
- There is a $30 entry fee for nonmembers
- There is NO FEE for student entries. See Young Writers category for specific details.
- There is no entry fee for Guild members.
- Guild membership is $30 per year; $15 for students. To join, pay by credit card here or make checks payable to Knoxville Writers Guild and provide a valid email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can pay entry fees in two ways: (1) by personal check mailed to the address below or (2) electronically via PayPal through the online submission process.
- If you opt to pay by check, include the title of your entry and category in the memo line of your check and write the check number when you submit your entry online. Failure to do so may result in the disqualification of the entry for lack of payment. Payments by check should be sent to: (Name of Category) Contest c/o The Knoxville Writers Guild, P.O. Box 10326 Knoxville, TN 37939
- The following prize will be awarded for each category: First Prize – $100. Prizes may not be awarded in a category if an insufficient number of eligible entries are received.
- See below for descriptions of individual categories and specific guidelines for a particular contest.
- Winners will be notified by phone and/or email.
- Winners will be invited to read an excerpt of their winning submissions at the February 1, 2018 General Meeting of the Knoxville Writers Guild where they will be presented with their prizes. If you are unable to receive your prize in person, it will be mailed to the address on your submission unless otherwise notified.
Mailing Address: Knoxville Writers Guild, P.O. Box 10326, Knoxville TN, 37939-0326
Equal Opportunity: The Knoxville Writers Guild does not discriminate against any person because of race, age, gender, handicap or country of national origin.