Facilitator: Donna Kapa
New Members: Open
“To offer support, guidance, and educational opportunities for short story and novel writers in the science fiction and fantasy genres. This includes (but is not limited to) comics, dystopias, time travel, hard sci fi, military sci fi, space operas, alternative history, steampunk, cyberpunk, high fantasy, mythology, science fantasy, dark fantasy, urban fantasy, and young adult. However, this group does NOT include fan fiction. Members participate through constructive critiques, sharing of creative work, and writing exercises in a friendly and encouraging environment. Our goals are to help our members improve their storytelling skills and to assist each other in preparing for publication.”
- The Science Fiction and Fantasy group is open to active Guild members. Members should be aspiring science fiction/fantasy writers of either short stories or novels. The group meets at 6:30 P.M. on the second Monday of each month at the Panera in Bearden. Meetings typically last until 8:15. Members are expected to actively participate in group discussions, as well as submit their own work for critique on a rotating basis.
- Generally, two to four members are critiqued each month. Submissions are made by email to Donna Kapa at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks before the monthly meeting.
- The Monthly submissions should not exceed 5,000 words. All members must contribute at least once in a 12-month period.
- All members are required to critique fellow writers’ submissions, whether or not they are present for the meeting, and to provide either written or electronic copies of these critiques. (Electronic submissions are preferred.)
- Members should conduct themselves in a professional fashion.